Nanny arrested while attempting to sell one-year-old boy (PHOTO)

An 18-year-old nanny, Covenant Bassey, who allegedly abducted her employer’s one-year-old son, David Robinson, in the Satellite Town area of Calabar, Cross River State, has been arrested.
Nanny arrested while attempting to sell one-year-old boy
Punch gathered that Bassey was arrested at about 7am on Monday in a motor park in the Onne area of Port Harcourt, Rivers State, by policemen attached to the Eleme division, who intercepted Bassey while allegedly attempting to sell the baby.
PUNCH Metro had reported on Monday that the police launched a manhunt for Bassey for allegedly abducting the baby.
It was reported that the nanny, who was employed by the Robinsons on January 2, 2016, absconded with the boy on Friday at about 2pm.
The father, Ekpedeme Robinson, reported the matter at the Airport Police Division, Calabar.
The boy’s mother had told PUNCH Metro that Bassey, who showed no sign of irresponsibility since she was employed, also packed some clothes and shoes from the house, before fleeing.
PUNCH Metro learnt on Monday that Bassey was arrested, while the boy had been rescued from her.
It was gathered that the police in Rivers State informed the Airport division, Calabar, about the arrest, which in turn informed Ekpedeme, the boy’s father.
Ekpedeme reportedly travelled from Calabar to Port Harcourt on Monday and met the nanny and his boy at the station, while the police were taking statements from the suspect.
The Cross River police spokesperson, John Eluu, confirmed the arrest, adding that the police were making plans to bring the boy and the nanny back to Calabar.
He said, “The nanny was arrested in Eleme, Port Harcourt on Monday. We are making plans to bring them back to Calabar. We are going to find out her intentions and how she carried them out.
“For now, the boy is still in Port Harcourt and the nanny is still talking to the police.”
A police source told Punch correspondent that the nanny was intercepted by the police at a trailer park in Onne, Port Harcourt by the Eleme division, where she was trying to sell the baby.
“David and the nanny were found on Monday at a trailer park in Onne, where she was trying to sell the baby. She is yet to admit that, but the evidence is clear. She left Calabar, Cross River, and came to Port Harcourt, Rivers State, with the baby without her employer’s consent. This is sufficient suspicion,” he added.
Speaking with PUNCH Metro on the telephone, the father, Ekpedeme, said he had seen David at the police station in Port Harcourt.
He said, “I had to travel to Port Harcourt this morning (Monday) after the Divisional Police Officer in Airport, Calabar, called me that my boy had been found. While at Eleme, I saw the nanny and my boy. He is with me now. I have not spoken with the nanny. The police are taking a statement from her.
“My boy does not have any health condition. He is sound. We are still with the police. I want to thank all who showed concern for us.”
When asked whether he would bring the nanny back to his house, Ekpedeme burst into laughter on the telephone.
Share on Google Plus

About Single

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment


Post a Comment